Saturday, April 27, 2013

4KCBWDAY6: A Tool To Covet

Today's task:
Write about your favourite knitting or crochet (or spinning, etc) tool. It can either be a tool directly involved in your craft (knitting needles or crochet hook) or something that makes your craft more pleasurable – be it a special lamp, or stitch markers.
Ooh, this is a good one! I always equate coveting things with sheer indulgence - after all, I am in the lucky position of having disposable income so if I would like a tool, I usually buy it when I want or need it, or if it's little bigger, ask for it for birthday or Christmas. There are a number of things that make my craftwork pleasurable though.

I love well-made project bags, so one of NicsKnots' bags is a pleasure to have. I knit from skeins a lot, and increasingly from handspun, so my yarn swift and ball winder are invaluable. However there is one thing that I really do covet, purely because they are a thing of beauty and a joy to use:

Ebony needles. They are warm to the touch, they have just the right amount of grip and they look gooooorgeous. They also seem to be a gazillion times the price of bamboo, which is why I only one one set of ebony DPNs. When I have pretty much every size of DPN that I need in bamboo, replacing them all with ebony is a dream that will have to wait until I win the lottery.

No comments: