Tuesday, April 23, 2013

4KCBWDAY2: A Mascot Project

Day 2's blog entry is an examination of what determines my project choice. It is a project that embodies my House or Mascot.the thing is though, I don't have a familiar process for choosing projects. Currently I'm obsessed with both the Adrift cardigan by Stolen Stitches and a now discontinued yarn, Sirene by the Natural Dye Studio. After finishing an Adrift in Sirene:

   

I cast on a second Adrift (in another yarn) within 24 hours and also scoured the UK for any remaining skeins of Sirene to make other lace weight cardigans. Guess what I'll be working on next? I'm dreaming about acres of that Sirene fabric, baby....

But other times, I might cast on with no forethought AT ALL. Someone suggests something, and I jump right in. Straight upstairs, into the stash and BOOM. Oh look, another WIP.

But back to the Mascot idea. What project would I select?

Hmmm... bees...

Well I know somewhere I have some yellow and black self-striping sock yarn, so that might be a starting point...

But wouldn't it be more fun to knit some bees?

Here's one pattern on Ravelry...
Photo © MalevolentPanda

This one is a little more anthropomorphised...

Photo ©Eteri Khodonashvili

Or I could branch out into some mitts...

Photo ©sibyline

...or a baby hat...

Photo ©Lena Swan
See... so many cute possibilities...

But I'm not really in the mood for cutesy-cutesy (although another cousin has just announced a new arrival for November...). I think I'm more in the mood for something for me.

How about Honeycomb?

Photo ©sneakysquirrel
The honeycomb pattern comes from the cabling, and it's been in my Ravelry queue for AAAAAAGES.

And it's useful.

And I could make it from handspun.

But not in black and yellow stripes.  
 

3 comments:

Genki said...

Oooh, I love those bee hive mitts, they're gorgeous!

Nic said...

They are rather eye-catching, aren't they?

April said...

I do like those mitts, but perhaps a bit too whimsical for this grandma to pull off. I'm leaning toward the honeycomb vest, so pretty and the perfect project for the house of bee.. but no stripes! :)